Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain — You are about to travel to Cusco and you don´t know which of these mountains to choose, don´t worry, in this article we will tell you everything you need to know to take the best decision!.
Both mountains offer magnificent panoramic views and unforgettable experiences, however they are located on opposite sides, it will depend a lot on your traveler profile to decide for on one of them, but the good experience is guaranteed.
Keep in mind that the Inca citadel and the Mountain, use the same name, to avoid confusion, we will use the word “Citadel” to refer to the Ruins of Machu Picchu and the word “Mountain” to refer to the Summit.
What is the difference between Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain?
|TYPE OF INFORMATION||HUAYNA PICCHU||MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN|
|Elevation||2720 masl (8923 feet)||3082 masl (10,111 ft)|
|Duration of the hike||From the citadel to Huayna Picchu is about 1 hour – the Return is about 40 min.||From the Machu Picchu citadel to Machu Picchu Mountain is about 1:20 hour – the Return is about 45 min.|
|Hike distance||From Machu Picchu cidated to Huayna Picchu it is 2 km (1.25 miles)||From Machu Picchu citadel to Machu Picchu Mountain it is 2.3 km (1.4 miles)|
|Archaeological sites||Agricultural Platforms and the Temple of the Moon||None|
|Best panoramic view||Panoramic view of the Machu Picchu citadel and other mountains||The best panoramic view of all the mountains of the Archaeological Park, higher altitude, better angle|
|Entry schedules|| 1st schedule: 07am – 08am and|
2nd schedule: 10am – 11am
| 1st schedule: 07am – 08am and|
2nd schedule: 09am – 10am
|Number of visitors||400 daily tickets available (200 visitors on each schedule)||800 daily tickets available (400 visitors on each schedule)|
|The most popular||Huayna Picchu is the most popular because of the challenging climbing and it has been in the tourism market for many years.||It is not so popular because it has been in the market for a few years but the route is super rewarding.|
|The most beautiful route||————-||Machu Picchu Mountain has the widest, the safest and the most beautiful route.|
|For adrenaline lovers||Huayna Picchu won´t disappoint you||————-|
|For family and children||————-||The Machu Picchu Mountain is the most popular for family groups and children|
Both of them have an additional cost to the price of Machu Picchu “Solo” ticket, but the price difference is not much, find out more on Cost and Ticket Types to Machu Picchu.
Photos of Huayna Picchu or “Young” Mountain
Photos of Machu Picchu Mountain or “Old” Mountain
Which one to choose?
Choose Huayna Picchu, as long as:
- You like adrenaline, challenge and even “dangerousness”
- You want to know more about archaeological sites, such as the Temple of the Moon
- You like the super narrow and steep routes
Choose Machu Picchu Mountain, as long as:
- You want to walk at a higher altitude for photos with a better angle
- You travel with your family, for example if you have children, remember that in order for children to access the mountain, they must be over 12 years old, otherwise you and kids can go to the Inca bridge of Machu Picchu
- You want a quieter route, without many tourists and with a lesser degree of difficulty
Don’t choose any, if you suffer from Acrophobia!
Can I do both Mountains in the same day?
- You could do it, but you cannot buy this type of ticket Online because there isn´t an option for “Machu Picchu Inca citadel + Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain”, therefore you need to buy in person or better contact your travel agent.
- The other issue is the schedule, you would have to first visit Huayna Picchu, access in the first hour from 7am to 8am, and be back in the citadel of Machu Picchu at 10am and then access Machu Picchu Mountain before 10am, and be back in the Inca citadel at about 11:30 am.
- At about noon, get outside the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu to meet your Guide and RE-ENTER Machu Picchu for the guided tour of the Inca citadel.
- Conclusion: Under this itinerary that includes the visit of both Mountains, you will end the day super tired, so we strongly only recommend you choose one of the mountains only and perhaps alternate with the Inca Bridge.